Register Your Own DNS Server
Custom Nameservers allow you to register a nameserver based on your domain, i.e. ns1.example.com. This is useful if you're running your own dns servers and infrastructure.
If you're looking to point your domain to a hosting company's nameservers, please see Domain Nameservers.
Custom Nameservers are also known as private nameservers or nameserver glue records.
Create / Edit Custom Nameservers
- Login to your Control Panel at https://www.misk.com/cp/
- Click on your Domain Name
- Under Domain in the top area, click on Nameservers
- Scroll down to Custom Nameservers
- Create custom nameservers
- Click on Enable Custom Nameservers if it's not enabled
- Click on Add Custom Nameserver
- Enter the Hostname (ie. ns1) you want for your server and the IP Address associated with it
- Click Add to create your custom nameserver
- Edit custom nameservers
- To the right of your custom nameserver, click the Edit button
- Enter the new IP Address
- Click Save
In addition to IPv4, we fully support setting IPv6 ip addresses for all domain extensions.
How long will the changes take?
The custom nameserver is immediately registered with at the registry. However, you'll still need to list the nameservers on the domain, and due to dns record caching by internet service providers, the changes can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours to take effect.
Caching for Custom Nameserver Changes
The domain registry can set the time to live (TTL) on your custom nameserver for up to 48 hours. So, if you're changing the ip address of your custom nameserver, you'll want to keep the other one running for this time period or be sure your other nameservers stay up and running during the transition.